Wednesday 28 May 2014

Concrete Minerals Sugar Skull Collection

Concrete Minerals Sugar Skull collection

I'm so excited to finally write this post.  I've had these pigments for about 5 weeks so I have had a good play with them.  Concrete Minerals have been popping up in lots of the Youtube videos I watch for quite a while so they were on my radar but last month I had a few extra pounds so made the splurge.  They have a few collections but the colours in the Sugar Skull collection stood out to me the most.

First off, the packaging! Look how cool the tin is.  I love the whole Day of the Dead thing and I think it's really pretty (it it can almost be recreated using the colours inside).  The colours themselves come in standard plastic jar with a sifter to stop things getting too messy.




L-R Top row: Saint, Sweet Catrina, Altar of Roses
Bottom Row: Calavera, Los Angelitos, Viva Los Muertos!
Pro Mattes in Fame and Ember
I also bought two of the Pro Matte Eyeshadows as all of the shadows in the collection are a bit (or a lot) shimmery.  The Pro Mattes are £7 each, the shimmers are usually £6 each but the Sugar Skull collection is £23 for the six over here.
L-R Top Row: Fame, Ember, Viva Los Muertos!, Los Angelitos
Bottom Row: Calavera, Sweet Catrina, Altar of Roses, Saint

Here I've swatched all of the shadows over Nyx Jumbo Pencil in Milk.  I think that you definitely need to layer these over something that stays a bit tacky so that all of the colour really sticks. Fame is a very warm, buttercup yellow.  Ember is a really deep orange.  Viva Los Muertos! is a bright fuchsia with pink shimmer.  Los Angelitos is mid-toned blue.  Calavera is an orangey yellow and unique in my collection.  Sweet Catrina is a dusky pink which sometimes look peachy.  I can get away with using this as a blending colour.  Altar of Roses is a warm red which can look more orange sometimes.  Saint is one of my favourites, a purple with pink and blue shimmer.  It can sometimes look blue instead of purple, like in the above swatch.


Look using Concrete Minerals Sugar Skull and Pro Mattes
Look using Concrete Minerals Sugar Skull and Pro Mattes


In this look I used Fame - Ember - Altar of Roses in a gradient over the mobile lid. A little bit of Saint is in the crease to darken the look, blended out with Sweet Catrina.  Saint and Sweet Catrina are both used underneath the eye, smudged out.  I can't quite remember but I think I used Urban Decay's  Tornado in the waterline and MUA's Felt Liner on top.

Look using Concrete Minerals Sugar Skull and Pro Mattes
I largely used the same colours here but the look is quite different as I built up the purple a lot more.  Ember is all over the lid.  Saint is used heavily in the crease and underneath, blended out with Sweet Catrina and a little of Viva Los Muertos!

Have you tried Concrete Minerals?  Any recommendations for their single colours?

I'm away for a few days now but have some more look-based posts lined up for when I'm back.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment