Thursday 4 September 2014

Illamasqua Once Collection

Illamasqua Once Collection
Last Friday Illamasqua released their Autumn collection: Once.  It features a fairly small selection of muted, ethereal shades that I think really enhance natural beauty and combines new products with a few re-promotes. The imagery for the collection is some of their best yet and features a very Marie Antoinette-looking woman wearing a modern twist of pastel blue Converse.

I already own the collection's Sheer Lipgloss in Opulent from when it was originally released.  
While I wanted to buy everything else, I chose to try their completely new product; Vintage Metallix cream eyeshadow.   Alex Box, brand Creative Director, said the inspiration behind them were "ageing layers. Well-worn gilt frames with many hidden painted layers that have naturally worn."

Vintage Metallix in Courtier and Bibelot
Vintage Metallix in Courtier

Vintage Metallix in Bibelot
Courtier is a pink beige with gold flecks while Bibelot (the word means trinket) is difficult to describe.  In some lights it looks green, others grey, others a cool brown.  It also contains gold flecks which really adds some dimension to it when you wear it alone.  Courtier makes a great eye-opening base but also works well layered with Bibelot.  In one of the collection images I think it is used as an eye liner too.
The gel cream feels quite wet but dries within seconds and does not budge all day.  I have very oily eyelids but neither of these crease on me at all.  I like them best applied with my finger as I can build up the colour quicker that way than by using a brush.
 
Vintage Metallix in Courtier and Bibelot
Opulent lipgloss is a real show-stopper.  It is one of my most frequently worn lipglosses as I find it perfect with a darker eye look and I really like it for weddings and other special occasions.  Also because it's a fairly pale shade you don't need to worry about being 'in the lines' too much and it doesn't bleed.

Sheer Lipgloss in Opulent
This lipgloss was really difficult to photograph to show just how beautiful it is.  The colour from a distance is a very flattery neutral shade but up close it is full of pink and gold shimmer.  You can feel the texture on your lips slightly but I didn't find it bothersome.
Here I have layered it over Illamasqua pencil in Ascend.

Sheer Lipgloss in Opulent
This collection seems a little different from what I've come to expect from Illamasqua (colour, colour, colour) but I think it is good that they do not limit themselves to any stereotype.  This collection is the most universally-appealing one so far and I would not be surprised if it attracts lots of natural makeup lovers that have been a bit daunted by previous collections.  All of the products are very wearable and work-friendly, with the most colourful item being nail varnish in Melange, a beautiful teal with gold.

You can buy the collection on Illamasqua's site or at Debenhams.

Have you tried anything from the Once collection yet? What do think about the stunning visuals?

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment