Monday 22 September 2014

Real Techniques - Nic's Picks Set

Real Techniques Nic's Picks

I was supposed to be on a spending ban (self-imposed, again) for September but admittedly broke it for the Chapman sisters' latest offering to the beauty world.  The new Real Techniques set, Nic's Picks, is officially released on the 1st of October but some online retailers had it to sell early.  I got mine from Escentual.  I couldn't resist when I saw it was available early and was included in their sale.
(Don't worry mum/dad/husband, the spending ban has otherwise been maintained).  


I didn't get Sam's Picks last year and regretted it.  That set had one exclusive brush.  This set has three exclusive brushes.  I knew I liked the 2 brushes included that I've already tried so I didn't have much to lose.

I've had a few days to play with the brushes but I did remember to photograph them straight away, phew, so they are clean. This set have chrome handles so really stand out from all of the other Real Techniques brushes.  They are the same shape and also, helpfully, have colour-coded writing to match the existing sets (base, eyes, finishing).

First off, the two face brushes.
The Duo-Fiber Face Brush is also available in the limited edition Duo-Fiber set.  It pains me to write fiber instead of fibre.  It just doesn't look right.  Anyway,  this brush is great for a loose application of powder or bronzer.  I tend it to use it with my Urban Decay Loose Finishing Powder or my Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot powder. Although I like this brush, it's not one I feel I need two of so my new one has gone straight into my kit.

Real Techniques Nic's Picks Duo-Fiber Face Brush
Ahhhh the Cheek Brush.  I love this brush.  It's a rounder, less dense version of the Expert Face Brush.  It's smaller than the Blush Brush so slightly better suited to the job I think.  It picks up just the right amount of blush and has just the right amount of movement in the bristles.  I think this is my favourite in the set, I really hope they release it as a single!

Real Techniques Nic's Picks Cheek Brush
The Eyeliner Brush is another set exclusive.  It's much firmer and smaller than their Brow one.  I don't feel it's thin enough for a really controlled winged out liner but it's great for a less precise line.  I also like it when I'm going for a more natural brow day i.e. powder not gel.

Real Techniques Nic's Picks Eyeliner Brush


The Base Shadow Brush is a tried and tested staple of mine, originally bought in the Eye Starter Set.  It is great for applying shadow and blending 

Real Techniques Nic's Picks Base Shadow Brush
The third set exclusive, the Angled Shadow Brush, has a similar feel to the Base Shadow brush.  It has the same fluffiness and density and to be honest I pretty much use it the same way despite the different cut.  It's still a useful brush to have around.

Real Techniques Nic's Picks Angled Shadow Brush
Not part of the set but I had to include this; I'm so impressed by the free samples that Escentual included in the parcel.  I received a nail file, La Roche-Posay smoothing body milk and DHC Velvet Skin Coat Primer and their Deep Cleansing Oil which I already love.  I do love a good sample or two.


All in all, I think the Nic's Picks set is well worth it. At the usual price of £30 it is £6 a brush.  I bought it for £25.40 which is £5.08 a brush.  I think that's great, especially when you consider that to do a complete look you would only need a foundation brush or sponge on top of this set.  It would be a great present for someone just starting out with make up.

I purchased mine here and it will be available in all the usual places on the 1st of October.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment