Tuesday 24 March 2015

My top 5 mascaras

Favourite mascaras: Too Faced, Maybelline, Primark and Clinique
My top 5 mascaras

My highly recommended mascaras are what I get asked about the most.  As I've said before, I don't have the best lashes for reviewing mascara as they're quite long already, fairly dark and hold a curl.  As such, mascaras aren't my favourite thing in the makeup world but I have endeavoured to compile my top 5 over the past few months, with some being long term favourites.  What I particularly look for in a mascara is for them to thicken my lashes a bit and look really dark black, not just dark grey like some do.  Another criteria I look for is that the mascara doesn't drop down on to my face throughout the day; rather than repeat it five times I will say now that none of these do that on me.

Read to to see my top 5, their wands, as well as how they look on me.
As you can see, my favourite mascaras cover a whole range of prices so there is something affordable for everyone in this list.

Favourite mascaras: Too Faced, Maybelline, Primark and Clinique
My top 5 mascaras
Starting off with my favourite waterproof mascara, it is Maybelline The Rocket.  I don't normally like a plastic bristled wand like this one but I find this one gets to even the smallest of lashes on the inner corner without hurting me.  It gives a fairly natural looks and doesn't clump.  Because it only gives a thin coating I like to use it on top of the other mascaras in this list to make them waterproof.
You can get it for £7.99 in Boots.

Maybelline The Rocket waterproof

Maybelline The Rocket waterproof
Clinique High Impact mascara has been one of my favourites for years.  It really defines each lash and gives quite a fluttery, natural look.  My lashes don't feel all crispy when I wear it, even when I build it up.  It's quite a small bristled wand so it's easy to not blob it all over your face by accident, great for lower lashes too.  I've never actually bought this mascara; it comes as a freebie quite often, either in magazines or with Clinique gift bags.  
You can get the full-size mascara in Debenhams for £17.50.

Clinique High Impact Mascara
Clinique High Impact Mascara

Clinique High Impact Mascara
Clinique High Impact Mascara
Next up is one I've already mentioned on this blog a few times and have already converted a few people to.  It is the Primark False Lash Effect mascara. It has a nice big brush for creating thick lashes.  I quite often do a natural looking 1 to 2 coats but you can really build it up for an intense look.  You can pick it up in Primark for a whopping £2.50.  A few times I have been in to buy some more and there have only been a few left, all opened and smeared everywhere but they restock regularly so don't give up!

Primark False Lash Effect mascara
Primark False Lash Effect mascara
See another photo where I am wearing Primark False Lash Effect here.

Primark False Lash Effect mascara
Primark False Lash Effect mascara
I know, I know, another Maybelline mascara.  They do have such a lot of choice though and at a great price.  Along with Max Factor, they definitely are the best of high-street mascaras.  This one is Maybelline's Mega Plush Volum' Express.  It is their first gel-mousse formula...I'm not really sure what difference that makes but I like it!  They claim no flakes, no clumps and I would agree with that.  I can get good volume from it and it holds curl.  Be careful, it is a very large wand so it's easy to transfer on to your skin when you are applying it.  Another thing a bit different about this mascara is the wand is a bit bendy, see the notch just before the brush?  I don't know if it helps but it's definitely not a hindrance.  You can get Mega Plush for £7.99 here.

Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express
Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express

Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express
Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express
Saving my very favourite until last, this is the unfortunately named Better Than Sex mascara by Too Faced.  The brush is quite different to the others I've shown, a sort of hourglass shape.  The bristles are relatively short but very effective at creating volume.  You can get clumpy lashes with this mascara if you're not careful, I would just recommend wiping some off before applying.  The photo below is wearing only 1 coat.  It's really, really dark and just effortless. I also notice that it does lengthen my already-long lashes (cannot wear with sunglasses!).  Ugh, I love it.  Again, another mascara that I've never actually bought the full-size off, I've received it in Too Faced kits and you can normally find the mini in a set on Sephora.com.  
You can get the full size for £19 here.

Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara
Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara

Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara
Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara
Would you invest in any of my choices?  Or can you recommend one that is even better?

Rachel

I'd love it if you followed me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment