Thursday 26 March 2015

The 1, 2, 3 of simple eye shadow looks

The 1, 2, 3 of simple eye shadow looks

I'm going back to basics today to give neutral examples of some really simple eye looks using either 1, 2 or 3 eye shadows.  No liquid liner, nothing fancy, just three really easy looks.  Great for beginners or if you are rushed for time, however I do looks like this every week as sometimes simple is best.  Admittedly I've used all tones that suit me, so cool, fairly muted shades.  You can swap these out for whatever would suit you.
I might do a more colourful version of this idea at a later date.
For each of these looks I first applied Too Faced Shadow Insurance eye primer so that the colours were as rich as they could be and so that the shadow didn't budge or smudge.

Wearing just Too Faced Shadow Insurance

One Shadow

For my one shadow look I am using Nars Starda, easily one of my favourite shadows ever. It's a dusky neutral purple with gold shimmer to it.  When you are using one shadow all over, light to medium shades work best as anything darker really needs to be blended out with something lighter so that there are no harsh edges.  Also avoid glittery shades as they won't blend out so well; stick to mattes, satins or shimmers.  I patted Strada quite heavily on to the main part of my eyelid and then blended it out and upwards using a clean brush.  I also brought it slightly under the lower lash line.

Nars Strada
Nars Strada

Nars Strada
Nars Strada

Two Shadows

For my two shadow look I used L'Oreal La Palette Nude Rose.  The individual shadows don't have names so I've marked the two below.  Admittedly I failed a bit with this one as the two colours aren't different enough to be the best example at what this look can achieve (if I do a more colourful version of the post I'll definitely make it more dramatic).  I used 1 all along the inner corner of my eye and then over the inner third of my eyelid.  I then used 2 over the rest of my lid and blended up and out. I also used 2 on my lower lash line and blended out.  I went back in with 1 on the same areas as before to build up the colour where some had blended away.

L'Oreal La Palette Nude Rose
L'Oreal La Palette Nude Rose

L'Oreal La Palette Nude Rose
L'Oreal La Palette Nude Rose

Three Shadows

For the three shadows look I used the Laura Mercier Artist Palette which I seriously love, it all suits my skin tone so well. I've done step-by-step photos for this one as it may help.  I've chosen a light shimmery shade, a matte transitional shade and a matte deep shade.  

Laura Mercier Artist Palette
Laura Mercier Artist Palette

I actually started off with Fresco, the transitional colour, and blended it into the crease and out, also taking it on the lower lash line.  This will be a good base for the dark colour to blend out into.

Laura Mercier Artist Palette
Laura Mercier Artist Palette

I then took Espresso Bean and applied it just to the outer third of my eye lid, not going too far up so that I could use a clean brush to blend it out into Fresco.  I made sure that the crease was well blended but blending the middle part didn't matter so much as I would be covering it.  I also took just a smidgen of Espresso Bean on the outer edge of my lower lash line.

Laura Mercier Artist Palette
Laura Mercier Artist Palette
 I then took the lightest colour, Primrose, and applied it to the inner half of my lid, blending it on top of the edges of Espresso Bean.  I also ran Primrose around the inner corner to highlight it.
I finished off with Espresso Bean again, using it with a push-liner brush on the roots of my lashes.

Laura Mercier Artist Palette
Laura Mercier Artist Palette
 I thought it might be good to see how you can use a few simple eye shadows.  All of these looks were extremely easy, even the third one didn't take me longer than 5 minutes to do.  I wear variations of Three all the time as it is flattering but effortless.  

I'd love to know what your favourite eye shadows are for a one-all-over kind of day!


Rachel

I'd love it if you followed me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment