Saturday 22 August 2015

Mermaid eye look 2.0


Mermaid eye look
Mermaid eye look left: 2014, right: 2015

I was asked this morning on one of the makeup forums I'm on to make a tutorial of a look I did a year ago.  The original look was inspired by one of Vintage Or Tacky's videos and uses very mermaidy colours with the blue, green and duochrome sheen.  I think I only featured the look on my blog in a sort of round-up post.  I recreated the look this morning using all the same products as last year, which I'll list below.

I hope you like the look and maybe find the pictorial I made useful.  I'd also love to know whether you preferred the first or second version!

Details below.

I made a few differences just to suit my current makeup style. The differences are I obviously do my eyebrows differently now, the liquid liner is a bit thicker and winged out, and the purple on the bottom lash line is now thicker.

 Products used for the eyes:

Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay Electric Palette: Fringe, Chaos, Gonzo, Freak and Urban
Urban Decay Glinda Palette: the cool side of Aura
Urban Decay Perversion Pencil
Inglot AMC Gel Liner in 82 (deep periwinkle blue)
Urban Decay liquid liner in Siren
Maybelline Mega Plush mascara

Mermaid eye look pictorial
Mermaid eye look step-by-step

1. Apply primer
2. Apply Fringe to the outer V and blend out
3. Bring Chaos slightly further in than Fringe and blend
4. Blend a bit of Gonzo out just above the crease
5. Apply Freak quite heavily to the inner two thirds of the lid
6. Deepen up Fringe again where some got lost to blending
7. Blend everything out with Aura, and apply it to inner corner
8. Put a black liner in the waterline
9. And just under that apply a blue gel or pencil liner
10. Smudge Urban on top of the blue liner and blend out
11. Apply Siren liquid liner
12. Curl lashes and add mascara!

I thought it would be a good idea to try using Sugarpill Lumi in place of Aura as it's easier to get hold of, so I have two slightly different eyes today.  Lumi is more green, Aura more blue.

Left using Urban Decay Aura, right using Sugarpill Lumi
Left using Urban Decay Aura, right using Sugarpill Lumi

And here if the full look.

Mermaid eye look
Mermaid eye look

Other products used:

Anastasia Dipbrow in Medium Brown with Inglot Duraline
Illamasqua Brow Cake in Thunder
Illamasqua clear brow gel

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation in 03
Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation in 120

Ben Nye Luxury Powder in Cameo

Kat Von Shade & Light 
Hourglass Dim Light and Luminous Light
The Balm Instain blush in Swiss Dot
OCC Loose Colour in Twirl (to highlight)

NYX Lip Liner in Nectar
Lunatick Cosmetics Lab Apocalipslick in Crypt Cream

Mermaid eye look
Mermaid eye look
As I said earlier, I'd love to know if you like this look and if you like this kind of blog post.  I know not everyone likes watching video tutorials so maybe this style is helpful?

Rachel

I'd love it if you followed me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment