Wednesday 19 August 2015

My Duochrome Favourites

My Duochrome Favourites

If you've read even a handful of my posts you'll probably know that I flipping love duochrome makeup.  It's my favourite finish every and if I find a new combination of colours then djashdwenfkn... I'm all over it!

If you're unfamiliar with the term duochrome it usually refers to a product that has a base colour and a different reflect colour; from one angle looking one colour but then changing when you move it.  Sometimes there are than two colours, but it's two more often than not.  Not to be confused with holographic which means it reflects rainbow (also looks amazing!)

Below are my favourite duochrome products for eyes, lips and nails.

Lip products


Illamasqua Boost Intense Lipgloss, Illamasqua Underworld Lipstick, Armour lipgloss in Grace, Anastasia lip gloss in Electro
L-R Illamasqua Boost Intense Lipgloss, Illamasqua Underworld Lipstick, Armour lipgloss in Grace, Anastasia lip gloss in Electro
My duochromatic lip products are all in the purple and pink family.  Illamasqua Boost lipgloss is violet with a blue shift, similar to the colours of their lipstick in Underworld, though more intense in the gloss.  If you like this colour I recommend the gloss as it's a bit easier to use, the lipstick takes a lot of work to be opaque (though made much easier lining with Urban Decay's liner in Asphyxia!)

Both my pink glosses are fairly similar but just different enough to warrant keeping both, of course!  Armour Beauty's Grace gloss is magenta with a blue shift. The base of Anastasia Beverly Hills gloss in Electro leans a bit more purple and has a stronger blue shift due to larger blue particles.

Illamasqua Boost Intense Lipgloss, Illamasqua Underworld Lipstick, Armour lipgloss in Grace, Anastasia lip gloss in Electro
L-R Illamasqua Boost Intense Lipgloss, Illamasqua Underworld Lipstick, Armour lipgloss in Grace, Anastasia lip gloss in Electro

Glitter

L-R MAC Reflects Transparent Teal, Lit Hawaii 5/0, Kryolan Pastel Red
Out of all my duochrome collection, the largest part of it is definitely glitter.  I managed to find 3 glitters of varying sizes to show you.  First up is MAC Reflects Transparent Teal, which I just have in a sample pot.  It's a very fine glitter which looks white/transparent in the jar but shifts teal, really beautiful on the inner corner or cupid's bow!  

Next is Lit Cosmetics Hawaii 5/0 Size 3  which is a baby blue base which shifts green, yellow and gold, so the over-all look is a warm blue.

Lastly, and largest in glitter size, is Kryolan Polyester Glimmer Coarse in Pastel Red; a translucent red with a lilac shift, giving an overall pink appearance.




Eyeshadow

Topshop Holograph, Urban Decay Tonic, Topshop U-Turn, Urban Decay Lounge
L-R Topshop Holograph, Urban Decay Tonic, Topshop U-Turn, Urban Decay Lounge
Oh I love me some duochrome eye shadow, honestly I'm so excited writing this post and swatching everything on my hand to describe!  First in the photos is Topshop Holograph shadow which looks sheer reflective pink when angled away from light, and very intense teal and blue when in light; like a pressed version of the MAC glitter above really.   I don't feel my pictures have managed to capture it; it's still in store though so I highly recommend trying to find it!  
Urban Decay Tonic is like a powder version of the Illamasqua lipstick above! Violet with a blue shift.
Topshop U-Turn was/is my favourite of the Chameleon Glow shadows they made, see my original post on all 3 here.  It's sadly no longer available, although the other two are.  It's unique in my collection; a bright warm green with a purple shift.
Urban Decay Lounge was one of the first duochrome shadows I ever bought.  It is one of the classic warm browns with a blue/green shift which a lot of brands now make.  I have a post on duplicates here.

Topshop Holograph, Urban Decay Tonic, Topshop U-Turn, Urban Decay Lounge
L-R Topshop Holograph, Urban Decay Tonic, Topshop U-Turn, Urban Decay Lounge



Nail Varnish

Topshop Eclipse and Sinful Colors You Just Wait
T-B: Topshop Eclipse and Sinful Colors You Just Wait
I'm such a muppet, I swatched these two shades on my nails, walked around with it on for days and forgot to photograph them!  So you'll just have to go on the product photos I'm afraid.  
Topshop Eclipse is a metallic sage green which shifts dark blue, although sadly it doesn't look quite so good on the nails as it does in the bottle. I can't find this one on the website anymore although Aurora and Usual Suspects have a similar effect.  If you like the looks of these the Models Own Beetlejuice Collection has even more options, although they require about 3 coats to look opaque.

The second nail polish is Sinful Colors Just You Wait, a sheer pale pink with lime green reflects.  It's quite understated and very pretty, it looks quite opalescent.  I bought this when Sinful Colors was still stocked in Boots but I've just had a look and you can pick it up on Ebay for a good price.


Pigments

Sugarpill Lumi, OCC Oberon, Shiro Master of Whispers and Alkahestry
L-R Sugarpill Lumi, OCC Oberon, Shiro Master of Whispers and Alkahestry
No post on general duochrome loveliness would be complete without mentioning this first pigment; Sugarpill Chromalust in Lumi (last swatch in photo below, why backwards, why?!).  Similarly to two of the aforementioned products it has a transparent teal shift.  It's super fine and just is the most beautiful thing when foiled over something else (mix with clear liquid or use a damp brush).

Next is OCC Loose Colour in Oberon (3rd in swatch photo); a sheer cream base with a peachy pink shimmer.  See it and some other OCC pigments in my post here.

The pink pigment is Shiro Cosmetics Master of Whispers from the Seven Kingdoms collection which I've mentioned on my blog here in swatches and here in a collection of looks.  It is a pale matte dusky pink with gold shimmer.

Lastly is Shiro's Alkahestry, like a more intense version of the Tonic shadow above; violet with a bright blue shift.  I recommend on using this one foiled otherwise there will be a lot of fallout!

Sugarpill Lumi, OCC Oberon, Shiro Master of Whispers and Alkahestry
L-R Sugarpill Lumi, OCC Oberon, Shiro Master of Whispers and Alkahestry



I hope the videos help to show just how beautiful these products are and demonstrate why they're my favourite finish of makeup ever.  It's not very often I come across a new colour combination any more but it's an incredibly exciting moment when I do!

I'd LOVE to know what your favourite duochrome product/s are!


Rachel

I'd love it if you followed me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment